Sunday, November 6, 2011

Reflections from a Hockey Mom (& must see video!)

Me and my handsome hockey playing son Jake (aka # 33)

Hey Friends! I'm just getting home from the Indiana retreat. It was absolutely unbelievable! God showed up BIG TIME! I hope to post pics soon (but would you believe I didn't take one picture. I was so busy talking with these beautiful women!) The coordinator is going to send some photos...and I'll try to put into words what we experienced. THANK YOU for your prayers!

I made it home just in time to attend my son's hockey game. Being at the rink made me think of this former post. Enjoy! I'm off to take a nap... :)

Hey Friends!

I hope you are having a GREAT week! :)

So you all know that I love being a hockey mom! Both of my boys play this exciting sport, so I get to spend lots of time cheering them on
at the ice rink.

Recently during the "Red Hot Retreat" we talked about being women of passion. I mentioned how I can get a little "Red Hot" as a hockey mom (shocking, I know). In case anyone thinks I was exaggerating ~ I've got new proof...on video, no less!

So here's the context...

My son Jake is the Varsity goalie for the Grand Rapid's Christian High Eagles. Last night was the 2nd play-off game for his team. Truth be told, I didn't think they would win on the first play-off game, so for them to win Game 1 and advance to play their rival school (East Grand Rapids) was exciting (and nerve-wracking for me, the goalie mom!)

Imagine my SHOCK and HORROR when the refs announced during the second period of last night's Play-off Game # 2 that the other team's star player would be able to take a penalty shot against my Jake. AHHH!


Thankfully, I know Jake does well under pressure, but not me!.

One dad from our team said, "Wow, this could really change the whole game." We were currently down 0-2, and the penalty shot would be taken in front of the other team's huge student section (who kept yelling not nice things at my son!). My stomach sank!!

I pulled out my camera and recorded the big play. Here's a replay (remember Jake is the goalie).





I know I got so excited that you can't tell what happened (oops!), but Jake did stop the shot!! Woo Hoo! And although we lost the game, Jake learned that he made the city's All-Conference team. Way to go, Jake! :)

I'm not sure what life stuff is coming full speed at you these days, but I imagine Jake's not the only one trying to block off "flying pucks" from the opposing team.


In fact, e-mails that I have received this week from dear friends included words like emergency at the hospital, unemployment $ running out, depression, divorce, cancer, and alcoholism (and these were all from Christian friends).

Life is just plain hard sometimes, isn't it?

Thankfully we serve a God who knows what we are going through. He has not left us alone. He has equipped us and empowered us with EVERYTHING we need to face our challenges head on. And in Him, not only will we make it through, but we are VICTORIOUS too!

(Remember ~ we are Warriors not Wimps, girlfriend!)

Years ago, when I was in the midst of a full-blown eating/thinking disorder
, here was my daily song that I would sing and declare all throughout my day....

Victory is mine, Victory is mine, Victory TODAY is mine....

I told Satan to "Get thee, behind!"

Victory today is Mine!!

Friend, VICTORY is YOURS today!! Somedays it means we stand "in the net", while others are shouting at us and our opponent is coming at us FULL STRENGTH....but in Him, we Win!!

We Win!! We Win!!!


May we not grow weary in doing good....Victory today is OURS!!!!

Thanking God for YOU and asking Him to give you the strength, courage, faith, and perseverance you need to STAND and FIGHT! :) It's going to be good, sister, it's going to be good!!!

Can I get a Woo Hoo??? :)

Sweet blessings ~


1 comment:

Linda said...

Mothers are such emotional creatures when it comes to our kids. And we Grandmas are like that too. I had a hard time going to watch my grandson wrestle. I just got too nervous.

I am glad that Jake did well for his team...and that he made the All-Conference team. I know you are proud of him for playing hard and for doing his best.

He's a cutie...and so are you Cindy!

Love,
Linda

Blog Widget by LinkWithin