Monday, November 28, 2011

Marriage Mondays: Party Language

Hello dear Bloggy friends!!

I am thrilled to join my dear friend Julie from Come Have A Peace for Marriage Mondays!

Today is a special day for our family. It's my husband John's birthday!! Woo Hoo!

After my amazing 40th birthday roller skating party, I want John to feel as celebrated as I did for my birthday. (Plus, you know me, I'm just always ready to celebrate!)

However, I have learned over the past 11 years of marriage, that there are different "party languages".

Whereas I love family, the more friends the merrier, decorations big and bright, encouraging words, and tons of fun....

John prefers family, a few friends, and special, meaningful conversations.

After a few "mishaps" over the years, I think I finally understand John's "party language" a bit more, and intentionally plan events/surprises HE would like, not just what I would want.

What are we doing this year?? I can't tell yet (there are more surprises yet to come) ~ but here's a snapshot of what we did last year.

How did I do at paying attention to HIS party language??

My hope and goal was to coordinate a a whole day that would serve John well and help create a birthday he would never forget!

We started off by going to the JW Marriott's six*one*six restaurant for a special brunch (John's favorite brunch place in the whole wide world!).

We were joined by John's parents, grandma, brother and his fiance. It was a perfect birthday morning! :)


After brunch, our family headed out to find the perfect Christmas tree. John has enjoyed cutting down a Christmas tree since he was a little boy, so it was the perfect way to spend a birthday afternoon together.


We found our tree! I love this picture of my son Jake carrying the tree, with our other kids trailing behind him! Special memories! :)


Lastly, we ended the day with a special 40th birthday celebration in our home. I asked our family/friends to bring 40 of something for John (thanks for the great idea, Erin!). It worked out great!

John received....40 pennies from our little Sarah


40 gift cards to Lowe's (from his brother Jim)...


40 dollars from my mom and dad....


PLUS 40 packs of hot chocolate, 40 gummy bears, 40 kisses (from guess who?? ~ smile!), 40 dollars to our favorite family-friendly restaurant, 40 Milk Duds, and $40 in gas gift cards. What fun!

And last, but not least, here is a picture of the birthday boy with his mom (my mom-in-love Jackie!) sharing in our traditional "birthday toast" with non-alcoholic sparkling juice.


It was a joy to celebrate John!

The best part for me ~ at the end of the day when John shared it was one of his best birthday's ever. Woo Hoo!!

What about for you, dear bloggy friend...what's your "party language"? What have you learned about celebrating your husband/wife? I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks for stopping by *She Sparkles*! May your week be filled with much joy, love, and CELEBRATION!!



P.S The winner of my "Mariacle on Hope Hill Giveaway" are
Courtney M., Susie F., and Karried by His Love. Thanks to all who entered! And a huge note of thanks to Jennie and Carol for writing such an amazing, encouraging book! :)

3 comments:

Shonda said...

My husband wants a party every year so he can invite all his friends. Don't give me a party- take me out to eat or a weekend away with no kids! This looks like a fun celebration for your husband.

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

Cindy you sure know how to make a day special !! :) I love your enthusasim !

God bless you and your sweet family!

Marilyn

ComeHaveaPeace said...

So much wisdom in this Cindy. I've tried to be a student of Jeff's party language, and as our season of life changes, I'm still studying. ;)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin