Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Disappointment

I received some disappointing news today. :(

I've been looking forward to an important meeting all summer, and after much prayer and preparation, one hour before I was to attend, I received a call that it had been cancelled.

Ugh.

Thankfully the man who called with the bad news was empathetic and gracious. He "affirmed and acknowledged" my disappointment, and gave me a chance to share how I was really feeling.

When was the last time you were disappointed??

I called my friend April to share the sad news. After listening to the update, she replied,

"Friend, how can we praise God in the midst of this disappointment??"

Hmmm....good question, April! (And just what I needed to keep my focus Up!)

We quickly made a list together. Grateful I received the call after the kids were at school. Thankful for the warm, caring man who made the call. Excited for the opportunity that the meeting entails. Grateful beyond measure that we can trust that God knows what He is doing (and this cancellation was not a surprise to Him). Our list went on and on...

There's an old song by Edith Lillian Young called "Disappointment–His Appointment”, based on the passage from Job 23:14— "He performeth the thing that is appointed for me.”

Here are the words:

“Disappointment–His appointment,”
Change one letter, then I see
That the thwarting of my purpose
Is God’s better choice for me.
His appointment must be blessing,
Tho’ it may come in disguise
For the end from the beginning
Open to His wisdom lies.

“Disappointment — His appointment,”
Whose? The Lord, who loves me best,
Understands and knows me fully,
Who my faith and love would test;

For, like loving earthly parent,
He rejoices when He knows
That His child accepts, unquestioned,
All that from his wisdom flows.

“Disappointment –His appointment,”
“No good thing will He withhold,”
From denials oft we gather
Treasures of His love untold.
Well He knows each broken purpose
Leads to fuller, deeper trust,
And the end of all His dealings
Proves our God is wise and just.

“Disappointment–His appointment,”
Lord, I take it, then, as such.
Like the clay in hands of potter,
Yielding wholly to Thy touch.
All my life’s plan is Thy moulding,
Not one single choice be mine;
Let me answer, unrepining–
Father, “Not my will, but Thine.”

~ Edith Lillian Young

***You can print a copy of the song here

Whereas the song is not Scripture (and I don't agree completely with everything it conveys) ~ it sure ministered to me today. As did Julie, who spent the afternoon with me listening and praying (and sharing a latte ~ thank you, friend). My caring husband who had just the right words to say. The sweet woman who called to apologize and reschedule the meeting. And my dear friends who sent verses and words of encouragement my way.

Disappointment - His Appointment?? I think YES today!

When was the last time you were disappointed?

How can you praise God in the midst of your disappointment??

I'd love to hear from you!!!

Thanks for stopping by *She Sparkles*. God's richest blessings to you~


P.S. I'm linking up today with Jen and friends at Soli Deo Gloria. Be sure to check out this amazing sisterhood of women! :)






11 comments:

Nana's Nuggets said...

HI! Cindy, wow~ I felt your disappointment on the page! but my Sweet Friend as I said a few days a go is that "HIS TIME" is the perfect time! There is a possibility is that God was Protecting from something that we don't see. And to say is that it was just not time for you to be there! But in the deepest part of your Spirit you can Praise The One that Gives You Life! even when we can't see what HE is preparing us for! I know it's the "WAIT" that drives us a little crazy! But HE will KEEP us in the Wait!! Psalm 51:8 says to us..MAKE ME HEAR JOY AND GLADNESS.(NKJV). and Girl~ you are a JOY! thats what you spread!!:) Have a Great Evening!

kendal said...

disappointment makes me mad. but i am learning to turn it around to praise....

Keena said...

My biggest disappointment recently was when my hubby and I had to surrender one of our vehicles due to lack of finances. I am trying to keep the focus on the positive instead of the negative but it's been hard. Thanks for reminding me to stay focused.

Anonymous said...

Actually, I am facing disappointment right now, so this is a word in due season. I sent the first 2000 words of my manuscript into a contest that would set me up with an "appointment" with some editors and an agent. I was looking so forward to some professional feedback. But alas, my manuscript wasn't chosen. But....this post reminds me, that maybe they weren't the right people for the project God has entrusted me with. They weren't Christians, and maybe that would have posed a problem. Thanks for the perspective change! :D

Janice C Johnson said...

I love the way that "God knows what He is doing and this [fill-in-the-blank] was not a surprise to Him."
What an encouragement, next time I face disappointing news. Thank you!
--Your Soli Deo Gloria friend

Amy Sullivan said...

Easy question...last week. Disappointed several times.

#1 My mouth got the best of me, very sad. At work, even sadder.

#2 An email rejection very sad. After I held my breath every time I logged into email, even sadder.

Working on praising when I just don't feel like it, but you know what? Ugh, I just don't feel like it.

Good post, friend.

Melody said...

I'm sorry for your disappointing news this week. So thankful for that friend who helped you praise through it...sometimes I just need a few minutes....okay, maybe more like days before I praise. But love how ya'll wasted no time in this act of worship through disappointment.

Leah Adams said...

Disappointment is well, disappointing. I had a disappointment last week. One of the events where i was scheduled to speak in October was cancelled due to 5 of the 6 churches backing out. The economy has hit hard and I know many events are having to be cancelled.

I was disappointed by I know that God knew about the cancellation long before it happened and He has a plan for me. So that gives me great comfort.

Unknown said...

Oh Cindy, I'm so sad with you. I was hoping that the sad face you posted as the profile pic for the linky was just a ruse...

My heart hurts for you, but your response to look up and find gratitude and faith is such a strong testimony.

Kathryn said...

Oh my! I know you posted this yesterday, but I didn't have a chance to read it til just now - and I know EXACTLY why!!! Because I JUST had a disappointment LAST NIGHT!! Struggled with it most of the night and wanted to wake up this morning with a different perspective; but, that didn't happen. I REFUSED to dwell on it and would NOT give in to the "pity party" the enemy was inviting me to, but WOW! When I read this just now - it was TOTALLY God answering my prayer from this morning when I asked Him to PLEASE show me something to help me today.

Thank you so much for sharing!

BARBIE said...

Ugh, I don't like being disappointed. Sounds like you turned it around with praise and thankfulness.

My greatest disappointment was last August when we had to short sale our home, after owning it for 16 years. It was quite the hard journey.

Have a beautiful weekend.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin