If you haven't had a chance to sign up for my Seeds Family Worship GIVEAWAY, please join the fun! I have 5 different, awesome CD's to giveaway. Woo Hoo!! (Click here for more information). You have until Monday, June 14th to enter. I'd love to hear from you! :)
Welcome to Friday "Family Fun" Ideas! I'm excited to have my amazing bloggy friend, Sue from Chocolate Cake Moments, guest posting for me. I have been so encouraged and inspired by Sue's passion for family! I know you'll enjoy meeting her today as she shares some ideas to keep your kids busy now that school has ended.
Take it away, Sue....
It’s Summertime and the kids want out! After being cooped up all winter and celebrating the last day of school, everybody is anxious to get out and enjoy the outdoors again.
However, as a parent with two kids of my own, I’ve discovered that summer can be as challenging for adults as it is liberating for kids. Once the charm of sleeping in wears off, I know it’s not long before I’ll be hearing the dreaded refrain of “Mommy, I’m bored!” Even if they go to summer day camps, the novelty of an unstructured day will eventually wear off, too.
In my experience, preparation is the best way to avoid the B-word. With a little creativity and planning, you can stockpile an arsenal of fun activities to throw at your kids before they can even say “bored.” Get them outside and enjoying the sunshine while it lasts (giving you a little well-deserved space in the process).
* 5 Ideas to Get Your Kids Out of the House This Summer *
1. Organize Family or Neighborhood Olympics that includes events like hula hoop competition, 3-legged races, water balloon toss, or egg and spoon races.
2. Lemonade Stand. Nothing says summer like cool, refreshing lemonade. Help the kids set up a stand, make a sign and get their first batch of lemonade ready. Other than coming in for more supplies every now and then, I know this keeps my kids completely occupied for hours. They set up their shade umbrellas, get the boom box playing Kids Bop, and they’re happy as can be with some old-fashioned fun.
3. Organize a Photo Scavenger Hunt. Grab the camera, head outdoors and tell the kids to take pictures of items around a theme – colors, numbers, alphabet, or a list of items you create. (With digital cameras, this is so easy and fun. You can also delete all of the pictures when you are done. No wasted film!) For more on how to plan a photo scavenger hunt, read this - here
4. Host a Neighborhood Fire Pit. While this is an evening activity, have the kids work on setting it up during the day. Get them to set up the Baggo Game or the Bocce Ball, put chairs out on the driveway, and pass out invitations to the neighbors.
5. Walk to the Local Farmers Market. Farmers Markets are a fun, relaxing way to spend some quality time with my kids. We’re together, outside in the sunshine, discovering new foods, promoting local farmers, and exercising. That’s almost an overload of family goodness, but we deal. Take the dog and make it a family adventure. Want ideas on what to do at the Farmers Market? - here.
I hope these ideas have inspired you to organize some family adventures and get the kids outside and enjoying the season. Looking for more simple, creative and most importantly fun ideas on how to spend time with your family? Read my post on 5 Ideas for Date Night with Your Kids - here .
Sue Kirchner is the founder and President of The Chocolate Cake Club (www.ChocolateCakeClub.com), an e-boutique that aims to inspire and help busy families have more fun, so they can have more “Chocolate Cake Moments” – when they are smiling, relaxed, and enjoying their family.
Sue is also the publisher of the Chocolate Cake Moments blog (www.ChocolateCakeMoments.com), which shares tips and ideas on how to schedule more family fun and laughter. When she’s not working, she’s home having fun with her husband and two kids.
Thanks so much, Sue!!
And if you, dear bloggy friend, want to share some Family Fun Ideas on this Fantastic Friday, I'd love for you to link up below AND leave a comment too. Please don't forget to link back HERE, so others can find more Fantastic Family Fun Ideas!
Have a super weekend filled with lots of laughter, joy, and fun family time!!
If you are participating in Friday Family Fun Ideas, click the blue "Enter" below, and then enter your name and URL (blog address) in the form below. Thanks for sharing your Family Fun ideas!