Monday, January 4, 2010

Moving Past Gym Class...


OK, true confession time. I stink at New Years Resolutions. I make them every year, and usually 2 days later (or sooner), they are out the window.

This year is no different. I've already had Diet Coke, chips & salsa, and Starbucks lattes (things I usually try to give up). I've not been to the gym yet this week (something I usually try to do), and forgot my vitamin again today. Shoot.

Another reason I am so grateful for God's grace. :)

I will, however, live differently this year. Not because it's a resolution ~ but because I am determined to live as the woman that God has called me to be. I am committed to knowing and believing who I am in Christ ~ and not allowing false labels to define me anymore. Period.

You see, for me, it started in gym class. Many, many years ago.

I'm not sure how you felt about gym class as a kid, but I thought it was horrible.

And the worst part...the picking of teams.

I mean really...is there anything more humiliating then being lined up along a wall, while 2 classmates hand pick who they want on their team.

I can still remember, nearly 25 years later, the pain and the humiliation of standing there – so desperately longing to be wanted – only to be the last one left again.

And unfortunately, I allowed gym class and other childhood hardships to shape my identity – and grew up believing that’s who I was.

It was like I was wearing a name tag labeled...

Not wanted.

Rejected.

I believed no one would ever choose me.

This became my identity, and I allowed these false labels to shape my life.

Thankfully, in 1996 I met Jesus. (Woo Hoo!!)

Jesus ripped off the false nametags I was wearing.
And the false labels weren’t just erased - but REPLACED with a whole new set chosen just for me. :)

And He has new nametags for you too :)

To be continued tomorrow.....

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Thank you for being so open Cindy. I too was the last to be picked in gym class, among other things that lead me to wear "rejected" name badge. I love the new badges that Jesus has given you and I.

Anonymous said...

Cindy and Michelle, AMEN!!! Same story here . . . I still struggle with those old "nametags" and need Jesus more and more. Cindy, thank you for your transparency which the Lord is using in my life and I'm sure many others. Looking forward to tomorrow's post. Love, Jenny C.

Julie@comehaveapeace said...

I think that "picking teams" image from gym class is burned on a lot of our hearts and minds. No wonder you don't want to go to the gym! :)And I forgot my vitamins already, too. But I don't think I even want to try and give up lattes. Let's keep those expectations reasonable. ;) It will be a great year with Jesus, lattes or not!

Freddae' said...

Thank you for your testimony. I'm new to your blog...love it. I'm now following. Happy Wednesday.

Freddae'
http://coffeegodandme.blogspot.com

Let'sMakeADifference said...

What a refreshing and encouraging post!!! I'm excited to read more of your posts! I noticed that you became a follower of my blog! Thank you! I am very thankful to God for helping me meet like-minded warriors for Him. Many blessings to you! Bonni

Angie said...

Hi Cindy...

Love your post today about gym class...I so relate to your experience...it's mine, too!! I dreaded gym class because my fair skin would get so red and sweaty and I was chubby and always picked last...in middle school we had to run 2 miles to the high school sports fields and back and had 5 minutes to get showered, dressed, and to our next class...Just thinking about showering in one big room with all the other girls still makes me shudder with humiliation. Why did teachers think it was okay to make young girls do this and then wonder why so many girls ended up with eating disorders??? Thanks for sharing and being vulnerable!!

So...my favorite book of 2009 was "No Other Gods"...the study was life changing and the book reinforces everything from the study...LOVED it!!!

~ Angie

Lisa Smith said...

you will be called by a new name that the mouth of the LORD will bestow. isaiah 62:2

To him who overcomes... I will also give him a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to him who receives it. Revelation 2:17

two of my favorite verses!!

Heidi Pocketbook said...

Raising hand here...still have those "name tag struggles" at times. Very relevant post, Cindy.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin