Monday, January 11, 2010

How Embarassing!!


Have you experienced one of those moments that made your face turn BRIGHT RED with embarassment?? That was me Friday night!!

You may remember, in my last post I mentioned I was headed out for an "over-night" all by myself. I have quite a full teaching/speaking schedule in the next few weeks, so John gave me the gift of a night off to pray, study, and prepare. (Thanks, honey!)

My room was perfect! I had a beautiful suite with a full kitchen and fireplace. (All of this from priceline.com ~ thank You, God!). It was a wonderful environment to study and meet with the Lord. (And I didn't go to the Starbucks next door even once ~ can you believe it?!)

Well, as I mentioned, the room had a fireplace. So Friday night, after studying in a loft at the hotel's gatehouse, I thought, “Oh, I should build a fire when I get back to my suite”. Granted, it was midnight…but I still had lots I wanted to accomplish, and my work area in the suite directly faced the fireplace. I thought the fire would be a nice touch while I prayed. Sounds like a good idea, right?! :)

So I bought the necessary log at the front desk. I asked the receptionist for directions, and he said it was simple, gave me the matches, and I was on my way.

There was a sign on the fireplace that read, “Make sure the flue is open or alarms will go off”. I thought I had the flue opened. It wasn’t latching great, but I tried my best. I lit the log and settled in for a great prayer time.

Sure enough, within minutes, my room started to get smoky, and the fire alarm started wailing. I mean loudly. The front desk guy quickly came over to my suite to help me. (He probably thought I was crazy….I had moved all of the furniture, had huge hanging posterboards of scriptures and prayers hanging in my room, etc…). He was very kind, fixed things up, and then...

10 minutes later…wouldn’t you know the alarm is going again! This time I almost started bawling. Ahhh!! I'm on the floor, trying to hand-hold the flue open in position. The front desk receptionist had to come again, and this time he just left my smoke alarm unhooked!!

Fortunately, Jake and a friend were out late coming home from a hockey game. They drove right over and helped me ~ by this time I was so frazzled!! They were able to get the flue to latch and helped air things out. What an ordeal!!!

As I sat on the floor that night, smoke in the room, with my hand holding open the flue (which I determined I could not do for the next 3 hours!) ~ I just thought, “Oh Lord, how can you waste your time with such a messed up, crazy girl like me??”. I feel so ill-equipped for all of the tasks over the next few weeks. But He reminded me (through the fire!) of how Big and Powerful and Mighty He is!!

It was still a painfully embarassing experience, none the less!!!

What about for you?? Do you have a fun, embarassing story to share with us! I'd love to hear I'm not alone!! Share with us please!!

Have a GREAT week!!! May the Lord bless you and keep you and fill you with His peace!



P.S. My friends have been so funny...saying things like....

"I guess your story proves you really are "on fire" for Him :)" or

"Sounds like a "Red Hot" night to me :)"

Glad to laugh about it...now! :)

6 comments:

Andrea said...

I am sure there are plenty...I am a mess and clearly a work in progress, but right now I am laughing "with you," because...It soooo could have been me laying in the floor trying to keep the flue open.
Blessings and hugs,
andrea

Wylie @ Shout A Joyful Noise! said...

Oh, Cindy!!!! That is hilarious!!!!! I just think it is SO awesome that you had this time with the Lord {even with the harrassment of the alarms}. And I am surprised you didn't go to Starbucks. I so thought you'd be all over that. Your room must have been awesome! Well, minus the alarms & security rushing in twice. HA!
Wylie

Amy said...

Thank you for the smile. I am not laughing at you, just with you :)
Blessings,
Amy

Jessie at Blog Schmog said...

Oh boy! My hubby is the master of the fire at our house but it sure is nice when it works out. Sorry your plan back fired (pun intended) Ha!

I'll have to get back to you on my embarasments. I've got plenty but with little kids they aren't all G rated. ;) Well Okay not THAT bad. My kids embarass me but I love them!

Julie@comehaveapeace said...

Oh, I think it's exciting. When the Lord takes time to remind me of how it feels to be helpless, it means He's about to use me and allow me to be part of something great He's going to do! Must have great weeks ahead for you. :)

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

Thanks for the follow! I'm returning the sweet gesture and following you too.

Looking forward to getting to know you.

Blessings!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin