Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Please Repeat ~ Shovel

Happy Tuesday to you!! The kids and I started Christmas vacation off with a BANG yesterday ~ crafting and shopping and baking and decorating all day long! (The kids even wore little Santa hats while we were out shopping ~ it was adorable!) It's such a blessing to have the kids home from school for a few weeks!! I plan to enjoy every minute with them I can!!

I thought these last few days before Christmas would be a great opportunity to "repeat" some posts from this year. I hope you enjoy! Merry CHRISTmas to you, dear friends! :)


Shovel ~

Have you ever wondered, “God, where are You?”

I mean, we learn as a small child in Sunday School that God is everywhere – but have you ever tilted your head back and asked the God of the Universe, “Where are You?”

I know I have...specifically after my fiance David was killed. You may be familiar with that part of my journey ~ on December 10, 1998 (5 months before our wedding date and 2 weeks before Christmas), David Timmer, my fiance and best friend, was tragically killed in a freak workplace accident.

Two weeks later, on a cloudy, dark Thursday morning, there I was, outside trying to shovel my driveway. The snow was up to my waist or higher, or so it seemed, and my little blue car wasn't going anywhere until I shoveled out a path. Jake, who was in preschool at the time, was bitter cold. (You know how it is with kids, it’s fun for like three minutes and then they’re just frozen to the core and ready to be done). As I was shoveling, I found myself asking the question- “God, where are you?”

Although actually, I think it went more like this- “OK God, where are you?! You say You’ll never leave me, but where are You now?! This is a lot of snow, God. How in the world am I supposed to shovel this all by myself? I thought I wasn't going to have to be a single mom anymore. Why did you have to take David home??!! This isn’t fair, God! This just isn’t fair! I mean, look at Jake. He's freezing ~ he has icicles hanging off of his eyelashes for crying out loud. I’m all alone, I can’t even get my car out of the driveway - God, where are You??”

I even lifted my shovel in anger and shook it at the Lord that day...

Just then, a car stopped in front of my house, and a young college kid hopped out.

“Hey lady,” he called, “this looks like a pretty big driveway for you and your son. Go on in the house and let me take care of it for you.”

Tears just poured down my face as I tried to speak the words, “Thank you, thank you, thank you”.

In the book of Deuteronomy, Moses reminds the Israelites (and us) of God’s promise to never leave us nor forsake us. The next time life circumstances cause YOU to wonder “God, where are you?..., ” ~ Go ahead and ask Him, He might be closer than you think. :)



3 comments:

Michelle said...

Merry Christmas Cindy. Thanks for reminding us of God's presence in our lives. I had a "day" yesterday and after a night of praise, I'm finally at peace.

Amy said...

I just got chills. I love that you shared this story. It is such a blessing to me today.
Blessings,
Amy

Julie@comehaveapeace said...

That IS a blessing. What a sweet servant's heart ... and I'm afraid I couldn't get my kids to wear Santa hats! :) That's so fun!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin