Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Who Me, A People Pleaser?? (& Salsa Video)

“Obviously, I’m not trying to win the approval of people, but of God. If pleasing people were my goal, I would not be Christ’s servant.” -Galatians 1:10 (NLT)


Hey Friends!


Happy Tuesday to you! I hope you're having a GREAT start to your summer vacation! :)


I'm curious....do you ever wrestle with people pleasing??


Have you ever made a decision, that upon reflection, you realized was made in an attempt to earn the approval of others??


I have. A lot. Ugh.



Here's a very humbling personal story I recently shared when I was speaking at the Red Hot Retreat...




Want to see if you are a People Pleaser? Take this easy little quiz.


God's Word is clear ~ we can't seek the approval of both God and men. (Galatians 1:10).


I certainly don't have all of the answers (and definitely am a work in progress!) ~ but here are some simple tips that have helped me....




**Cindy's Tips to live free from People Pleasing **


1. Continually renew your mind with God's Word


Y'all know how much I believe in memorizing Scripture. My life has been renewed because my mind has been made new! God's Word is powerful, effective, and life-changing!!!!



2. Memorize Scripture on your identity in Christ.



One year I memorized A to Z verses on who God says that I am (trust me, I needed this ~ and still do!). For example....


A - Accepted


B - Beautiful


C - Chosen


D - Delivered...you get the idea...


3. Record the goals/dreams/desires God has given you. Use these as a "filter" as you prayerfully make decisions.



4. Brace yourself ~ you will disappoint people.



This does NOT mean you are not loved, valued, or significant. As you seek to live the life God has for you, you will not be able to make all of the people happy all of the time. Seek to please only an audience of One.



5. Extend much grace....to yourself and others.


6. Ask a friend or two to hold you accountable.


I'm so thankful for my close girlfriends who hold me accountable in this area. They are quick to bring to light any and all glimpses of people pleasing, pray with me (and for me), and ask the really hard questions about why I am choosing to do what I do.



How about for you?? What have you learned about living free from seeking the approval of others? Have you ever wrestled in this area? Do you have a tip you could share?? We would love to hear from you!!!


Have a Terrific Tuesday filled with God's richest blessings!!!




P.S. I'm linking up today with Jen and friends at Soli Deo Gloria. Be sure to check out this amazing sisterhood of women! :)

4 comments:

LisaShaw said...

Hi beautiful!

We must be on the same page. As you know I shared a video regarding our Dreams (part 2) and addressed people pleasing, approval addiction etc. weekend before last so it was a blessing to come on over here and here your story.

Thank you for being transparent in your sharing. I'm sure many can relate. We all have our stories that's for sure :).

Thanks for sharing! Love you much!

Pamela said...

I am no different than Aaron. Wow...loved the snippet of your talk. I'd love to heart the rest. I find myself in this position too many times. My heart is happy that God forgives and helps me make better choices.

Blessings,
Pamela

Unknown said...

I'm going to come back later and listen to your talk -- but wanted to say this first:

I am so a people-pleaser. I HATE to disappoint people and because of this, I find that I am damaging myself. God has me on the road to recovery, but oh, it's a tough road indeed! Thank YOU for your amazing encouragement in this area. I so need it!

Praise and Coffee said...

Hey Cindy,
I love it and loved the video!!!
Great message :)

And... chips and salsa are my favorite too!!!!
Need to get together soon :)
Love,
Sue

Blog Widget by LinkWithin