Thursday, September 24, 2009

What's On Your Nightstand?

I love books!! As a little girl growing up in Indiana, one of my weekly highlights was a visit from the Bookmobile. (Does anyone else remember the Bookmobile? My son Jake thinks I'm making it up. He also thinks his mom was weird for loving the Bookmobile!).

My husband John lovingly teases me about books being "my friends" (they are!). I usually have a huge pile of books near my bed...and have even been known to hide extras under my bed. :)

Imagine my delight when I recently came across Whats on your Nightstand from 5 Minutes for Books. What fun! :) Techinically you're supposed to participate on the 4th Tuesday of the month (I'm a couple days behind, sorry), but I couldn't resist joining in on the fun!

Here is what is currently on my nightstand...
A Bible (The Leadership Bible)
A Chance to Die by Elisabeth Elliot
Shame Lifter by Marilyn Hontz
Life Lessons from the Hiding Place ~ Discovering the Heart of Corrie Ten Boom by Pam Moore
Having a Mary Spirit by Joanna Weaver
Lord, I Want to Know You by Kay Arthur
Clippings from My Notebook by Corrie Ten Boom
When the Enemy Strikes by Charles Stanley
Jesus the One and Only by Beth Moore
Tramp for the Lord by Corrie Ten Boom
Prison Letters by Corrie Ten Boom
Amazing Love by Corrie Ten Boom
I did have the book "I Stand at the Door and Knock" by Corrie Ten Boom on my nightstand, but somehow it made its way over to John's nightstand!! John has been very gracious, though, and has been reading a chapter from it to me each night before bed (which is even better than reading it myself!)
What's on your nightstand these days?? I'd LOVE to hear from you!!
Blessings to you!

10 comments:

Fonda said...

I love your list. A Chance To Die is one of my favorite biographies of all time.

Andrea said...

Two bibles (my favorite study bible and a copy of the message), my journal, 23 minutes in Hell, Boundaries by Townsend, Beth Moore's John devotional book, What Have you got to lose by Arterburn, and actually a NLT Bible, too.

Blessings, andrea

MOMSWEB said...

This is funny. I don't have any books on my nightstand, but I do carry books around with me in a bag, so if I'm ever stuck anywhere, I'm not bored.

The books in my bag are: Humility by Andrew Murray, The 10 Commandments of Marriage by Ed Young, Fascinating Womanhood by Helen B.Andelin, and of course We Snap in Silence by yours truly (hee-hee).

Warren Baldwin said...

Quite a list! My list is always fluctuating. Right now two history books (I'm teaching Amer. history), one on Jesus by NT Wright, one on rebounding from devastating sin (sorry, can't think of the name of it, but it is good!), and one on marriage by Swindoll. wb

Warren Baldwin said...

I'll add one more book on the nightstand: Roaring Lions, Cracking Rocks and other Gems from Proverbs. I wrote it, but I'm still so in disbelief that I keep reading it. Info about it is posted on Family Fountain.

Anonymous said...

Cindy, thanks for your "list." I'm copying it and taking it to the Christian bookstore with me - hope I can find some of them! Right now I'm trying to read "Touching Godliness Through Submission" by K.P. Yohannan. I need a good "block" of time to really get into it. It's such a blessing to have so many great things to read! Blessings to you, Jenny C.

Morgan said...

LOL, for me, it's more like what's all over the coffee table! Alton Gansky's newest book, cook books, TONS of picture books, and books on Ancient Egypt. All over the coffee table. : )

I love to read!

Julie@comehaveapeace said...

I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one with a bedside pile. :) A couple of my favorites right now include Vicki Courtney's "Your Boy" and "Your Girl", and I've also added "More Than Petticoats", a book about historically influential women in my state. I love history, so I always have a few history titles there. I also have a great commentary on 1 Thessalonians. It's time for me to sift through the lower levels ... they're getting forgotten. :)

Unknown said...

I love reading your blog and I would love to give you this blog award. You can pick it up here.

http://honoringtheking.blogspot.com/2009/09/one-lovely-blog-award.html

Marilyn Hontz said...

Hello Cindy,

What a fun surprise to see that my book, Shame Lifter is on your Night Stand! I am honored - thank you.

By the way, I remember the Bookmobile and loved it! :)

"...May the God of peace...equip you with everything good for doing His will..." Hebrews13:20,21

Blog Widget by LinkWithin