Monday, August 17, 2009

Pitiful or Powerful?!

My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness. 2 Corinthians 12:9


As I finish up my 3rd antibiotic to get rid of a sinus/ear infection that has stayed way too long, this post (written a few months ago) sums up how I feel today. Enjoy! :)

OK, so I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed today. It started yesterday with another morning home with my sick daughter. I'm sorry to say it was not a very "Thankful Thursday" for me (until John came home and I could finally go to the store to buy laundry detergent!).

8 days straight of sick kids (can anyone say "stir crazy"?!), busy family life with 4 kids and a high maintenance dog, still feeling under the weather, plus...a couple of very important speaking engagements next week, praying with close friends through hard stuff, and more, has made me feel exhausted and overwhelmed. I think I need a 2 day nap!!

But then I'm reminded of God's promises, specifically in 2 Corinthians 12:9. Jesus said to the apostle Paul, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness".

I love that word "power". In the original Greek language, it is the word 'dunamis' meaning might, strength, great ability. It's where we get the word 'dynamite'. Dynamic power! It is the power of transformation, and - amazingly - it was released for us when Jesus was raised from the dead! Glory!

I want this POWER in my life! When I am weak (which is daily!) ~ I want to be strong and mighty and full of His dynamic power! I have tried to live life on my own before, and failed miserably. And, Lord willing, I won't go back.

What freedom comes when we take the pressure and expectations off of us - and put them back on God and His Word. He is Able!! And as a Christian, we have ALL the POWER we need for ALL the problems we face! Let me say that again...we have ALL the POWER we need for ALL the problems we face! God's incomparably great POWER is available to help us!!

I get so fired up about this! Sometimes I just want to scream from a mountain top, "Where is the POWER??!!" To watch Christian men and women living pitiful, defeated, empty lives - or even mediocre lives - thinking that's all there is to the Christian life - breaks my heart!! Jesus desires us to live full, abundant, glorious lives in Him!

I'm not sure when this post finds you today...perhaps weary and exhausted like I am? Overwhelmed? In the midst of relationship challenges? Job concerns? Financial pressures? May our weaknesses put God's POWER on display all the more! Teach us, O Lord, how to live in the fullness of Your power!

Let's pray: Dear God, We acknowledge You as our All-Powerful God! Lord, today we may feel ___________, but the Truth is that in You, we are strong, and able, and mighty! Lord, we don't want to be pitiful ~ make us Powerful!! Please release Your power in our lives!! We invite You to go to work! Use us, O Lord, for Your Kingdom purposes! For Your Glory alone! Amen.

P.S. My dear friend and mentor gave me an awesome resource - a pamphlet called, "The Power of God - and the Faith that Brings its Release in our Lives". It's a simple prayer guide to daily release God's Power in our lives. If you would like me to make a copy for you, please let me know. It is fantastic! :)

10 comments:

jj said...

Thanks for this post Cindy. I love you and really love your new blog. I knew you'd eventually do something amazing like this and I know eventually I'll be buying your book at the Christian bookstore.

I just wished I lived near you so I could hear you speak.

I've been having a tough few days and I'm glad to remember I am strong in God's power.

Amber Benge said...

What a beautiful post and a beautifully designed blog! I just arrived and I can't wait to read more. :)

Christina Ketchum said...

Girlfriend! I don't know how I missed this post!!! I got TEARS in my eyes! I am so glad I know you!

Unknown said...

Wonderful post and I do truly love your new blog design :)

Amy said...

Great post and just what I needed today.
Blessings,
Amy

Andrea said...

Sending prayers for GOD's healing touch on your body. May GOD pour out comfort, peace, and love into your being.
Blessings and prayers, andrea

Michelle said...

Wow, Cindy. Thank you for this uplifting post. It was what I needed. I'm getting into the summer blues, counting down to the fall start ups.

PS. I would love a copy of the pamphlet.

Anonymous said...

Very 'POWERFUL' post! You are a gifted writer!

Tonya said...

This post found me tired and wishing for more rest. Thanks for the reminder that I can rest in God's power to help me make it through.

I like your new blog design too! :-)

MOMSWEB said...

My baby boy just got over an ear/sinus infection! Praise God for healing.

By the way, your blog represents you well. You definitely sparkle! May God bless you for blessing me each time I visit you.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin