Wednesday, May 6, 2009

My Friend Jen

Many weeks ago, I asked my friend Jen Torresson if I could share the special story of our friendship on my blog. Two days later her husband Tom had a heart attack, so the post I was thinking about didn't appear. Instead today, dear Jen, is the day! Thank you for allowing me the privilege to share....

From the very first time I met Jen two years ago, we quickly hit it off. :) At our first "coffee", we were already sharing life ~ Jen's family had just moved here from California, only for her husband Tom to lose his employment ~ so we kind of bypassed the small talk and went right into sharing our hurts, our hopes, our disappointments.

Then I asked the question, “Oh, so where do you guys go to church?”. “We don’t” Jen replied. I soon learned that although we shared a common love for family and for kids – we also shared many differences. Jen wanted nothing to do with the Christian religion. Nothing. She prayed to a higher power. Believed there were energies in the world. Didn’t understand my love for God, and didn’t want to. It was as if her mind was veiled to God and His Truth (2 Cor 4:3-4)

You know what I did? I started praying for Jen and her family. Praying that this veil would be taken away. My Bible study started praying for Jen. My husband, our kids were praying. Friends’ friends that didn’t even know Jen and her family were praying. Praying that this family would know God's great love for them!

Jen and I continued developing our friendship and she became one of my closest and dearest friends. Last winter, after about a year of journeying together, I invited Jen to my Bible study. She said yes. I couldn’t believe it! That night I finally had the courage to ask Jen if she would like to invite Jesus into her life. Jen wasn’t ready, she said. So I asked her if we could we pray together? Jen said that would be ok...so we tightly held hands and I prayed that God would take away the veil getting in the way for her and her husband – and that God would reveal Himself to them.

Soon after, Jen and her husband started attending church as a family. (I couldn't believe it!) And on Easter Sunday last year, as they were driving home from church, Jen’s husband Tom leaned over and said to her – "I met Jesus today". (Can you believe it??! Yippee!) And last May, Jen went on a women’s weekend retreat with her new church – and she gave her life to Jesus! (Woo Hoo!!!)

It has been amazing to watch God work so powerfully in Jen's life over the past year! God clearly has a very special and significant plan for Jen and her family! Most recently, she has handled the trauma of Tom's heart attack and his road to recovery with such faith in God and tremendous strength in Him. She is truly an inspiration!

"Whenever anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away." 2 Corinthians 3:16

Let's pray: Lord, thank You for the Torresson family. Thank You for their powerful story ~ Your beautiful story of love and redemption and grace. Thank You for removing the veils so that they could see You! Lord I pray for others that are living far from You...our neighbors and co-workers and family members and friends...Lord, would You please prompt us to pray for them more specifically and would You continue to draw them to You. For Your Glory Alone. Amen.

P.S. Thank you, dear Jen, for letting me share your story...His story. Can't wait until Memorial Day Weekend! I love you! :)

P.S.S. Thank you, Misty Wondergem, for taking such a fun picture of us at Tom's Celebration party! You are an AMAZING photographer! Thanks for sharing your work! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Cindy for your part in this story of mine and for all your prayers and love and friendship! -jen

Courtney (Women Living Well) said...

Awesome story!!! Sometimes we are the one who prepares the soil, sometimes we are the one to plant the seed, other times we are the one to harvest it - but it is most fun when we get to be the harvester! There is NO joy on earth like seeing a loved one come to know our precious Savior! Praise the Lord - thank you for sharing!!!

Courtney
http://www.womenlivingwell-courtney.blogspot.com

jj said...

Cindy, You are the most amazing woman I know. Seriously, you have the fullest, richest life. I still remember praying for YOUR salvation!!! Love ya - Happy Birthday and Mother's Day. JJ

Blog Widget by LinkWithin